Interventional radiology at LifeBridge Health is dedicated to using state-of-the-art technology to provide exceptional interventional and neurointerventional radiology services to our patients and community.
Interventional radiology can diagnose and treat a wide range of conditions in the body by inserting various small tools, such as catheters or wires, into the body. X-ray and ultrasound help guide the radiologist in this subspecialty, which can be used as a substitute for surgery and eliminate the need for hospitalization.
Conditions treated by interventional radiology include cancer, brain aneurysm, stroke, meningioma, atherosclerosis, uterine fibroids, and kidney and urological conditions.
A small sampling of interventional radiology procedures includes:
- Angiography, an X-ray of arteries and veins to find blockage or narrowing of the vessels
- Angioplasty, which uses a small balloon-tipped catheter to open up an area of blockage inside the vessel
- Embolization, which inserts a substance through a catheter into a blood vessel to stop blood flow
- Gastrostomy tubes for feeding patients who can’t take food by mouth
- Stent placement, for which a tiny, expandable mesh coil is placed inside a blood vessel to open up a blockage
- Foreign body removal, which uses a catheter to remove a foreign body
- Needle biopsy of the liver, lungs, kidneys, thyroid, testicles, bone or lymph nodes
- Injection of clot-dissolving agents
- Catheter insertions for giving chemotherapy drugs, nutritional support and hemodialysis
John Brunson, M.D., is director of Interventional Radiology/Neurointerventional Services at LifeBridge Health. He specializes in Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology and Interventional Radiology.
Dr. Brunson earned his medical degree from the Temple University School of Medicine. Following a general surgery internship at Abington Memorial Hospital, he completed a Diagnostic Radiology Residency program at Howard University Hospital, where he was appointed chief resident. He received full fellowship training in Interventional Neuroradiology at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center.
At LifeBridge Health, we offer interventional radiology at two locations:
- Northwest Hospital
- Sinai Hospital
Schedule an appointment for interventional radiology today.