A team approach to preserving mobility
The loss of a limb or muscle weakness can be devastating to essential human function. The multidisciplinary team at Sinai Rehabilitation Center
’s Prosthetics, Orthotics and Shoe Clinic can help. Medical specialists provide a comprehensive evaluation and plan to address loss of mobility and ambulatory function.
Whether there is a need for a prosthesis (artificial limb), an orthosis (brace), special footwear or footwear modifications, Sinai Rehabilitation Center is a one-stop shop. For over 30 years, the clinic has been staffed by a group of experienced clinicians who treat the following:
- Arm, leg or foot amputation
- Limb deformity
- Leg length discrepancy
- Brain injury
- Multiple sclerosis
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Neuromuscular disease
- Pinched nerves in the neck or back
- Limb with weakness
- Foot drop
For those who already have a prosthesis, brace or shoes, the team can also evaluate and provide treatment for:
- Residual limb pain
- Phantom pain
- Foot pain
- Painful scars
- Skin irritation or breakdown from the device
- Numb feet
- Toe and toenail problems
The multidisciplinary team includes:
- Physiatrist – A physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- Podiatrist – A foot treatment specialist.
- Physical Therapist – A health care professional who assesses and treats pain, wounds and mobility problems.
- Prosthetist – A health care professional who designs, fits and fabricates artificial limbs (prostheses).
- Orthotist – A health care professional who designs, fits and fabricates braces (orthoses).
- Pedorthist – A health care professional specializing in footwear fitting and modification.
Patients can expect their first visit to include a comprehensive consultation with the physiatrist, who will then review the case with appropriate team members to establish a complete, individualized treatment plan. The plan may include:
To schedule a consultation, call 410-601-5597.
- A prescription for a prosthesis, orthosis, shoes, shoe modification or insert
- A rehabilitation prescription for physical therapy or other therapy as needed
- Foot care and counseling
- Medical management of associated symptoms such as pain