Click on the thumbnails above for a larger view
The new Louis and Phyllis Friedman Neurological Rehabilitation Center at Sinai Hospital provides specialized rehabilitation services to adults who have sustained a brain injury, stroke or other neurological disorder. It is one of the region’s most advanced facilities offering acute level inpatient neurological rehabilitation that includes a staff that has the highest number of certified brain injury specialists in Maryland.
Opened in October 2012, the rehabilitation center is a 20-bed complex staffed by more than 40 clinicians, including doctors, nurses and therapists. It includes a dedicated nine-bed brain injury unit, one of only two such licensed treatment spaces in Maryland.
The center offers a comprehensive, patient-centered approach to treatment, featuring the latest technology, a team of experts and an emphasis on family-centered care.
Here are some of the center’s highlights:
- The entire continuum of treatment for neurological disorders, from the ER to the ICU and acute neurological care to rehabilitation, are now located within one building. This is unique to Maryland and possibly the region.
- It features grocery store and bus settings as well as an ATM.
- The center features a fully equipped home transition apartment that allows patients to replicate the activities they will be doing at home.
- Private patient rooms can be adjusted to a patient’s particular therapy needs. This helps control levels of stimulation.
- A state-of-the-art gym that has advanced technology that assists patients in their daily therapy.
- The gym features visuospatial deficits, robotic equipment to help improve gait and balance, and other advanced dynamic performance therapy tools.
Most importantly, the expert team of physicians, therapists and nurses is completely focused on rehabilitation. The staff has the highest number of certified brain injury specialists in Maryland.
Download the Factsheet