Sinai Hospital's 15-bed inpatient hospice unit offers a comprehensive program of care and unique services to provide comfort to the critically ill and their families. The center is designed for symptom management so that patients can be transitioned to their homes or another setting for further hospice care.
The unit's amenities and polices allow loved ones to fully be with the patient - often the most important thing to all involved:
- 24/7 family and friends access with no visitor restrictions
- Private rooms, each equipped with a foldout recliner
- A private bathroom for visitors to help facilitate overnight state
- A cafe-style family lounge with dining tables, allowing families to gather together and bring in a patient's favorite foods
- A homelike dedicated family room, giving a patient's loved ones a place to meet privately on the premises
- Family pets are welcome
Hospice emphasizes palliative care. These services and therapies include:
- Pain management
- Advanced medical interventions, including: ventilator support, IV-administered antibiotics, and palliative chemotherapy and radiation treatments
- Psychosocial and spiritual support
- Music therapy
- Touch therapy
Staff members on the unit include hospice physicians, hospice nurse case managers, social workers, chaplains, nurses, aides and volunteers. While patients are in the hospice unit, their primary care providers can continue to follow them. In addition, hospice physicians will make daily rounds on all patients and provide care as necessary.
For more information about admission to the unit, please call 410-601-WELL (9355) or 866-693-4067.