How should I take care of my vascular access?
You can take several steps to protect your access:
- Make sure your nurse or technician checks your access before each treatment.
- Keep your access clean at all times.
- Use your access site only for dialysis.
- Be careful not to bump or cut your access.
- Don’t let anyone put a blood pressure cuff on your access arm.
- Don’t wear jewelry or tight clothes over your access site.
- Don’t sleep with your access arm under your head or body.
- Don’t lift heavy objects or put pressure on your access arm.
- Check the pulse in your access every day.
The Dialysis Access Center health care team will help you learn more about how to care for your access site. For a copy of the booklet, Getting the Most From Your Treatment: What You Need to Know About Hemodialysis Access
National Kidney Foundation
30 East 33rd Street
New York, NY 10016
1–800–622–9010 or 212–889–2210