Scott E. Brown, M.D., is the chairman of the B. Stanley Cohen Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Sinai Hospital. After a brief tenure at Sinai from 1990-1992, he returned to Baltimore in 1996 from Loma Linda University. Dr. Brown has served as associate chief of the department. He was appointed chairman in July 2001.
Dr. Brown completed residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Albert Einstein/ Montefiore Medical Center in New York. He is board certified by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in PM&R and the subspecialty of Pain Management, a new certification available to physiatrists only since 2000. Dr. Brown also holds board certifications in Electrodiagnostic Medicine (the evaluation and management of neuromuscular disease) by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine and as an Independent Medical Evaluator by the American Board of Independent Medical Evaluators.
Dr. Brown is a past president of the Performing Arts Medicine Association and is co-editor in chief of the Journal of Dance Medicine and Science. In addition to performing arts medicine and pain management, he is extensively involved with the Maryland Workers' Compensation community, not only in treating patients but as a board member of the Maryland Workers' Compensation Educational Association.
Residency Program Director
Melanie Brown, M.D., holds a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering and a medical degree from Northwestern University. She completed her internship in Internal Medicine in New York, N.Y., at Roosevelt Hospital (affiliated with Columbia University) in 1991. She completed residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in Philadelphia, Pa., at Moss Rehab Hospital (affiliated with Temple University) in 1994. She completed a research fellowship in biomechanical movement analysis in Bethesda, Md., at the National Institutes of Health in 1996. Medical student and resident teaching has been, and continues to be, an integral part of her career.
She came to the Sinai Hospital of Baltimore after serving as associate residency program director and assistant professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Md. She participates in the Association of Academic Physiatrists Residency Training Directors Workshops on a biannual basis. In addition to her residency teaching and mentorship responsibilities, Dr. Brown has lectured for physical and occupational therapy students at the University of Maryland in Baltimore, Md., and at Towson University in Towson, Md. Dr. Brown has been an active member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Association of Academic Physiatrists, and North American Society of Clinical Gait and Movement Analysis. In addition, she has served on the National Advisory Board on Medical Rehabilitation Research. Dr. Brown has participated in research involving gait and movement analysis and has presented nationally on issues of gait dysfunction and brain injury rehabilitation.
Core Teaching Faculty
Sinai Outpatient Clinic
- Scott Brown, M.D. - Musculoskeletal, Pain Medicine, Performing Arts Medicine
- Eric Buchner, M.D. - Musculoskeletal, Pain Medicine, Electrodiagnostics
- Edward Soriano, D.O. - Interventional Pain Management
- Lynn Staggs, M.D. - Musculoskeletal, Pain Medicine, Electrodiagnostics
Sinai Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Melanie Brown, M.D. - Brain Injury Rehabilitation
- Sarah Eby, M.D. - Neuro Rehabilitation
- Ling-Ling, Cheng, M.D. - General Rehabilitation
- Frank Tanon, M.D. - Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Leon Reinstein, M.D. - Consultations
Affiliated Teaching Faculty
Sinai Orthopedic Clinic
- Stephen Bell, M.D. - Outpatient Muskuloskeletal and Sports Medicine
Baltimore VA Hospital/ University of Maryland Medical Systems
- Robert Lavin, M.D. - Pain Medicine
Kennedy Krieger Institite
- Scott Schultz, M.D. - Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Stacy Suskauer, M.D. - Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Melissa Trovato, M.D. - Pediatric Rehabilitation
University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopedic Institute
- Peter Gorman, M.D. - Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
- Henry York, M.D. - Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Union Memorial Hospital
- Andrew Tucker, M.D. - Sports Medicine
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Matthew Miller, M.D. - Electrodiagnostics
Work Force Technology
- Mark Young, M.D. - Vocational Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology