Below is a description of the typical physical therapy program for a total knee replacement patient
Day of Surgery
- When you are comfortably situated in your room following the surgery, your Nurse will notify the physical therapist on the floor.
- The physical therapist will see you for an initial assessment and begin mobility.
- The Therapist will gather information about your home setup and activity level prior to surgery.
- You will be instructed in proper techniques, tips and precautions for transferring out of bed and walking with an assistive device.
- At the end of the session you will be resting comfortably in the bedside recliner chair.
- You and your therapist will discuss your discharge planning recommendations to best fit with your situation and session performance.
- Initiating out of bed activity is the first step to a full recovery.