What are the reasons that a patient would want to go to the inpatient hospice unit?
The comforting setting and a team of highly skilled hospice professionals help the patient meet any challenges they may encounter with their particular hospice diagnosis. Some reasons for inpatient hospice care may include:
- Pain management
- Open Access interventions:
- Ventilator support
- IV antibiotics
- Palliative chemotherapy and radiation treatments
- Other advanced medical interventions
- Psychosocial support:
- To meet the patient’s need for respite care (up to five days)
- To provide time and assistance if there is a breakdown in family dynamics
- To provide time and assistance regarding long-term care placement
How many beds are on the unit?
There are 14 beds on the unit. All of the rooms are private, allowing the patient’s family to be at the bedside.
Can families stay with the patient?
Yes, the patient’s family can stay with the patient. There is a kitchen facility and washer and dryer available for family use. These convenient amenities are vital to the comfort of both the patient and family members.
When can a patient be admitted to the facility?
The patient must meet the following Medicare criteria for inpatient hospice:
- Agitation requiring medication change
- Uncontrolled pain requiring dosage changes
- Blood transfusions
- Seizures—uncontrolled, requiring observation/medication
- Vent weaning
- Wound care – draining, malodorous, needing frequent dressing changes
- Respiratory distress
- Cardiac failure – requiring frequent medication administration
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Medication adjustments needing close monitoring
- Decreased blood pressure
- Decreased urine output
- Uncontrolled nausea
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
Can the patient’s referring physician continue to follow the patient?
Yes. Our hospice physicians will also make rounds daily on all patients and intervene as needed.
When can we call with referrals?
At any time you determine that the patient is in need of hospice care.
You can refer a patient to the Seasons Hospice Inpatient Unit at Northwest Hospital with a few simple steps:
- Once you have identified a possible patient or received orders from a patient’s physician you can call us at our toll free intake number 24 hours a day:
- You can fax the patient information to 443-893-2343 Monday through Friday,
8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- The Seasons Hospice staff is also available to assess and evaluate a patient for all levels of hospice patient care.