What are the reasons that a patient would want inpatient hospice care?
The comforting setting and a team of highly skilled hospice professionals help the patient meet any challenges they may encounter with their particular hospice diagnosis. Some reasons for inpatient hospice care may include:
- Pain management
- Open Access interventions:
- Ventilator support
- IV antibiotics
- Palliative chemotherapy and radiation treatments
- Other advanced medical interventions
- Psychosocial support:
- To meet the patient’s need for respite care (up to five days)
- To provide time and assistance if there is a breakdown in family dynamics
- To provide time and assistance regarding long-term care placement
How many hospice care beds are offered at Northwest?
There are 14 beds offered at Northwest Hospital. All of the rooms are private, allowing the patient’s family to be at the bedside.
Can families stay with the patient?
Yes, the patient’s family can stay with the patient. There is a kitchen facility and washer and dryer available for family use. These convenient amenities are vital to the comfort of both the patient and family members.
When can a patient be admitted to hospice care?
The patient must meet the following Medicare criteria for inpatient hospice:
- Agitation requiring medication change
- Uncontrolled pain requiring dosage changes
- Blood transfusions
- Seizures—uncontrolled, requiring observation/medication
- Vent weaning
- Wound care – draining, malodorous, needing frequent dressing changes
- Respiratory distress
- Cardiac failure – requiring frequent medication administration
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Medication adjustments needing close monitoring
- Decreased blood pressure
- Decreased urine output
- Uncontrolled nausea
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
Can the patient’s referring physician continue to follow the patient?
Yes. Our hospice physicians will also make rounds daily on all patients and intervene as needed.
When can we call with referrals?
At any time you determine that the patient is in need of hospice care.