Imagine a nursing home that feels more like “home” and less like “nursing.” That’s the Households at Levindale, a bright, joyous long-term care environment for you or your loved one.
The Households, which opened on Levindale’s Harry & Jeanette Weinberg campus in 2012, has redefined long-term care for our residents and their families. The $31 million, one-of-a-kind facility is full of fun, freedom and friendship.
With a unique design among Maryland nursing homes, the Households is made up of six units — or “households” — which each have 14 private bedrooms. Two of these households are dementia care units, and one is a dedicated Orthodox Jewish unit.
Each room in the Households comes with:
- A spacious living area with bed and dresser
- A flat-panel TV
- A large bathroom with a walk-in shower and cabinet built-ins
Each household is equipped with:
- A hearth area with a fireplace and relaxing views through floor-to-ceiling windows
- A central kitchen and dining area with a private chef who comes in daily so residents can eat breakfast and lunch according to their personal preferences
- A den with books and a large-screen TV
- Kosher food
- A high-capacity washer and dryer so staff can wash residents’ clothing individually
The Households also features the following amenities:
- Adherence to the Eden Alternative model of elder care, which incorporates animals, children and nature into the daily lives of our residents
- A two-story town center with a permanent rotating exhibit from the Jewish Museum of Maryland, a full-service hair salon, gift shop, live music and more
- A full-time Rabbi and onsite synagogue for holiday observances and weekly Shabbos services
- Frequent happy hours with residents, complete with drinks and appetizers
- Well-tended grounds with a sensory garden, courtyards, patios and a playground for children
- Short hallways for easier walking
Activities and recreation are a big part of residential life, with new activities for each household posted every day. Our talented physical, occupational and recreational therapists are all trained to help our residents lead long, healthy lives. Here are just a few of the creative activities that these professionals use to enhance physical coordination.
- Art and music therapy
- Card and board games
- Dance therapy
Thanks to Levindale’s Specialty Hospital, residents have access to onsite physicians 24/7. Rapid response teams are always available to provide emergency care when needed. Also, residents who have doctors affiliated with LifeBridge Health receive seamless care.
The treatment teams at the Households can also work with residents who have orthopedic issues, are recovering from a heart attack or stroke, or suffer from other chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease.
To schedule a personal tour of Levindale, please call 410-601-2289 or submit a request online.
The Households at Levindale
Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital
2434 W. Belvedere Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215