Know Before You Go
PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISEASE
- Keep a diary of any symptoms you may have regarding pain, tiredness, weakness or tingling in your legs.
- Also keep a list of any foot or toe pain that occurs when you are resting.
- Note any cuts or sores that have been slow to heal.
- If you have diabetes, ask your doctor to test for PAD if:
- You smoke, have high blood pressure or high cholesterol
- You are over 50
IF YOUR DOCTOR TELLS YOU THAT YOU HAVE PERIPHERAL ARTERY DISEASE, DON'T LEAVE THE OFFICE BEFORE KNOWING THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS:
- What does the value for my ankle-brachial index mean?
- What lifestyle changes should I make?
- What treatment do you suggest?
- What are the side effects of this treatment?
- How long will I be on this treatment?
- Will I need surgery?