Know Before You Go
There is useful information to provide to your physician to ensure you get the most out of your visit. Before your appointment, gather the following information:
- Family history of breast cancer
- Personal history such as age at first full-term pregnancy, age of start of menstruation, age of start of menopause, average monthly alcohol consumption, hormone use whether birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
- Any concerns arising from breast self-examination
When visiting your physician after being diagnosed with breast cancer, be sure to get the following questions answered before leaving the office:
- What stage is my breast cancer?
- What kind of treatment will you be recommending?
- What are the side effects and/or risks of the treatment?
- Are there any long-term effects of my treatment?
- What can I do to prevent a recurrence of my cancer?
- Will there be any symptoms that alert me to the recurrence of my cancer?