Courtland Gardens Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, formerly Jewish Convalescent & Nursing Home, is home to many Russian-speaking residents. Because they do not speak English, we have put together a program to help them enjoy their time at Courtland Gardens and to be able to be understood.
Our efforts include:
- A Russian translator who is on-site and works Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- A nurse who speaks fluent Russian works from 3 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- Communication books are placed in every room with a Russian resident.
- Pocket communications were developed so they can be carried with staff members all the time. Those books and booklets have different ways to communicate...with words and pictures.
- Activities calendars are translated into Russian.
- Courtland Gardens has a subscription to a Russian television station.
- Courtland Gardens tries to place Russian speaking residents in the same wing so they can have people to talk to there.
- On-site, there are a Russian speaking therapeutic recreational therapist, a speech therapist, a nurse and a maintenance worker.
- A language line available that Courtland Gardens residents can call to help them with anything that needs translation 24 hours a day seven days a week.