In 1936, a group of people got together for the purpose of organizing a convalescent home. The official founding of the Jewish Convalescent Home Society was November 1 of that year.
In 1942, a large cottage was purchased on Pall Mall Road at Wylie Avenue. This home rapidly expanded from six beds to an 82-bed facility. On June 1, 1958, the new building was dedicated.
On October 27, 1980, the Jewish Convalescent opened its doors on Scotts Level Road. The new center was capable of accommodating 150 residents. In November 1993, the home celebrated the completion of a $2.5 million renovation project.
Jewish Convalescent came together with Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital in 2000. Both are now part of LifeBridge Health, one of the largest, most comprehensive providers of health service in the Northwest Baltimore area, which also includes Sinai Hospital and Northwest Hospital.
In April of 2009, Jewish Convalescent was renamed Courtland Gardens Nursing & Rehabilitation Center to better reflect the change in our admission policy to include non-Jewish residents.
Courtland Garden's Jewish residents continue to share in the traditions of living a Jewish lifestyle, as residents of all faiths do with their heritages.
Courtland Gardens is a skilled, nonprofit nursing home in Baltimore County. We have 151 beds.