From little things, big things grow.
Facilities with Families in Mind
The Herman & Walter Samuelson Children's Hospital at Sinai offers a full range of pediatric specialty services for patients from birth to 18 years of age and older, supporting area pediatricians with the most comprehensive care of any community hospital in Maryland.
The new facility, which opened in 2012, supports the family centered care philosophy. The project included the Alfred I. Coplan Pediatric Hematology Oncology Outpatient Center and the relocation and expansion of the Footlick Family Foundation Children's Diagnostic Center.
The most amazing detail about the interior design theme of the hospital is a marine motif. For specified hours each day, the televisions in each room have access to a live broadcast from the National Aquarium in Baltimore. The live feed is also visible from the third floor lobby area as you exit the elevators.
What are some other cool details about the hospital?
- A physical therapy treatment room, two nurses stations and medical staff offices are located on the unit
- Several small gathering areas for patients and families are outside of the rooms
- The green roof area is visible from the playroom area
- Family hospitality area that includes a microwave, sink and refrigerator
- All rooms have windows and lots of natural light
- The unit includes environmental controlled spaces and clinical support spaces
- The entire unit, including patient and clinical support areas, is 100% HEPA filtered to reduce germs and bacteria
What are the architectural highlights of the facility?
- A 3,000 square foot first floor lobby
- A 34,500 square foot inpatient pediatrics unit
- A large, spacious playroom
- 26 private inpatient rooms
- 7 regular inpatient rooms
- 9 oncology rooms that are grouped together in a special care suite
- 4 isolation rooms with ante rooms
- 6 universal rooms that can accommodate pediatric intensive care patients (two of which are isolation rooms)
What are the rooms like?
The large, ergonomic patient rooms allow space for the patient care team and family members, and two patient rooms are capable of managing patients with epilepsy.Computers are located in each room for staff documentation, and the full bathrooms feature a shower, child seat and a removable shower head for smaller children.
Other room highlights include:
- Pediatric-themed art, furniture and accessories
- Video game systems
- A 42" flat screen television
- Sleeper sofa for parents
- Storage with a combination lock
- A small table for paperwork, homework or playing games
What services are provided?
Services provided by child life specialists are available to patients who visit the playroom or at the bedside of patients who are too ill to participate in the playroom activities. Armed with a strong background in child development and family systems, child life specialists promote effective coping through play, preparation, education and self-expression activities.
Child life specialists also provide the following:
- Emotional support for families
- Encouragement for optimum development of children facing a broad range of challenging experiences
- Special attention to children facing health care and hospitalization challenges
- Help to schedule pre-hospital tours and individualized pre-hospitalization visits
To access the Children's Hospital Pediatric Inpatient portal that includes health information, activities and games for parents, kids and teens, visit:
2401 West Belvedere Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21215