FELLOWSHIP IN SPORTS NEUROLOGY
The Sandra and Malcolm Berman Brain & Spine Institute and the Department of Neurology at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore is accepting applications for its Sports Neurology Fellowship from those wishing to begin in the fall of 2017. Interested graduates of neurology residency programs who are board eligible (ABPN) may apply for a 1-year or 2-year program.
AT THIS TIME, APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED FROM THOSE WHO WISH TO BEGIN THE PROGRAM IN THE FALL OF 2017.
The largest and most comprehensive institute of its kind outside of the academic medical center setting in Baltimore, the Berman Brain & Spine Institute is a nationally recognized healthcare leader and has been twice ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the fields of Neurology and Neurosurgery by US News and World Report. The institute’s staff provides exceptional, comprehensive, and compassionate care for patients with medical and surgical disorders of the brain and spine and is committed to patient care and advocacy, teaching, and research.
The team of fellowship-trained expert neurologists, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, and orthopedic spine surgeons, collaborates with numerous subspecialists, including neurointerventional radiologists, neuropsychologists, neurocritical care specialists, and neuro-urologists.
The successful fellowship candidate will benefit from the following:
- The only Sports Neurology Fellowship on the East Coast in a major metropolitan area
- Exposure to athletes aged 8 years and older
- Exposure to and participation in the long-established multidisciplinary Comprehensive Sports Concussion Program directed by Kevin E. Crutchfield, MD
- A program that provides neurologic consultation to the Baltimore Ravens, Baltimore Orioles, DC United soccer team, and the Chesapeake Bayhawks lacrosse team, as well as student–athletes at multiple colleges and universities in the Mid-Atlantic region
- Rotation at the Arnold Palmer Sports Medicine Center in Baltimore
- Rotations with pain management, neuromuscular disorders, vestibular therapy, and neuropsychology specialists
- Sideline exposure at athletic events
- Collaboration with vestibular rehabilitation specialists, neurorehabilitation specialists certified by the Academy of Certified Brain Injury Specialists, and fellowship-trained neuropsychologists
- Participation in research studies and publications
- Presentations at national meetings
The successful candidate will acquire the following additional skills:
- Occipital blocks
- Botox injections for headaches
- Interpretation of transcranial Doppler ultrasound studies
- Interpretation of dynamic cervical spine x-rays
Review of other types of neurologic imaging studies
This fellowship period can be 1 or 2 years, depending on applicant interest. A 1-year fellowship will be clinically focused; a 2-year fellowship will include opportunity for research endeavors.
Click here to download an application for the Sports Neurology Fellowship.
For additional information, contact Tzipora Sofare, fellowship coordinator, at 410-601-1920 or email@example.com.