The goal of the Remote Second-Opinion Program of the Adult Hydrocephalus Center at The Sandra and Malcolm Berman Brain & Spine Institute is to provide a limited second medical opinion for those who are either diagnosed with, or suspect that they have, adult hydrocephalus or normal pressure hydrocephalus.
This program may be able to help you if you are over 18, are unable to travel to Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, and fit into one of the following categories:
- A patient who has been diagnosed by a physician with normal pressure hydrocephalus and desires an expert to review your records and scans
- A patient over age 65 who has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus
- A young or middle-aged patient who has been diagnosed with hydrocephalus by a physician and desires an expert to review your records and scans
- A patient who is already being treated for hydrocephalus
- Review of patient history form. Those seeking our services should download and complete this form and send it with requested documents, records and scans.
- Review of consultation reports from your primary care physician, neurologists, neurosurgeons or other specialists for possible hydrocephalus
- Review of MRI or CT scans (brain or spine)
- Review of lab studies (blood studies, cerebrospinal fluid analysis, etc.) that have been done to evaluate you for hydrocephalus
- Review of neuropsychologic report for diagnostic purposes and for treatment and rehabilitation recommendations by a neuropsychologist
Our goal is to provide you and your physician with a written remote second-opinion report within 10 business days after verification of payment. Our office will notify you when verification is received and if an unanticipated delay occurs in transcribing the report. A written report will be mailed to your address. If you authorize email transmission of the report, we will email the report to you in PDF format.
- Health insurance coverage is not available for this service.
- The fee for the second-opinion service is $750. This is an out-of-pocket expense that can be paid by credit card or personal check.
- If a neuropsychologic review is requested, an additional $400 fee will be required.
- Payment will not be processed until the application is complete and all necessary forms have been received by our administrative coordinator.
- The remote second opinion will not be performed until payment has been verified.
Requesting a Remote Second Opinion
A remote second opinion may be requested by any of the following:
- Patients themselves
- The patient's family members, with the signed permission of the patient
- The patient's surrogate decision-makers, health care agents or persons with durable power of attorney for health care decisions, provided that:
- A copy of the patient's living will, advance directive or assignment of durable power of attorney is sent to us, and
- Evidence that the patient is not capable of making health care decisions is provided. This can be a copy of an evaluation by or a letter from a physician that affirms that the patient lacks decision-making capacity.
To respect the autonomy and privacy of our patients, under no circumstance will we provide a remote second opinion unless the criteria above are satisfied.
Steps to Request a Remote Second Opinion
- To initiate the application process, please contact the Hydrocephalus Center Second-Opinion Program at 410-601-1905.
- Complete and return the following forms:
Send copies of all applicable medical records and reports, as well as actual MRI or CT scans (see checklist below).
For neuropsychology report review, send a copy of the report that you would like us to review, along with raw and standardized scores.
Send all medical information (reports, results, MRIs, etc.) and application materials via Fedex, UPS, DHL or USPS (certified, priority or express mail) to:
- Patient Intake Form
- Patient History Form
- Patient Disclaimer (signed by the patient or his/her legal representative)
- Payment Authorization (signed by the patient or his/her legal representative)
- Physicians—If a physician is requesting the second opinion, please complete and send the Consultation Request Form.
Adult Hydrocephalus Center
Michel Mirowski Medical Office Building
5051 Greenspring Ave., Suite 300A
Baltimore, MD 21209
Tel: 410-601-1905 // Fax: 410-601-1901 // Email:email@example.com
Forms and Documentation Checklist
Patient Intake Form
Patient History Form
Payment Authorization (signed by the patient or his/her legal representative)
Patient Disclaimer (signed by the patient or his/her legal representative)
Consultation Request Form (if a physician is requesting the second opinion)
Consultation reports from neurologists/neurosurgeons that indicate possible hydrocephalus (hospital discharge summary or operative reports if appropriate)
Current list of medications and dosing information
Actual MRI and CT scans and written reports (NOT only the written reports)
Lab studies (blood or cerebrospinal fluid)
Neuropsychology reports (if review is desired)
We are unable to return reports or scans. Do not send originals. Please send copies. If no alternative is possible and you must send originals, you will be responsible for the postage required to return the originals.
Remote second opinion is not a substitute for an evaluation by a physician. We cannot make the diagnosis of hydrocephalus solely upon the review of records and scans. However, we may be able to recommend whether a patient should have further testing for normal pressure hydrocephalus or other disorders, or whether they should have further testing for shunt function or malfunction.
We encourage patients who desire a second opinion from the physicians at the Adult Hydrocephalus Center to travel to our facility for a comprehensive evaluation.
If you are interested in obtaining a remote second opinion from a physician at the Adult Hydrocephalus Center, please call Tiana Rogers at 410-601-1905.